Stuffed Green Peppers
A hearty, delicious main meal that has most of your nutrition basics and can be lunch or dinner. Serve with a nice garlic bread on the side to dip into the tomato-y sauce. Yum!
- 6 extra large green peppers
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1/2 pound fresh sausage (unseasoned sausage)
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- pepper to taste
- one large can (28 oz.) chopped tomatoes
- 2 -15 oz. cans tomato sauce
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- pepper to taste
- 2 T. sugar (to counteract tomato acid)
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 90mins
Cost Average budget
Wash peppers. Carefully cut around stem about an inch out to form your "lid." Scrape out seeds.
Make filling by combining meats, cooked rice, onion, beaten eggs and pepper. Stuff filling into peppers placing pepper's "lid" on top. Set stuffed peppers into deep baking dish.
Make sauce by combining chopped tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, celery, pepper and sugar. Pour sauce over peppers. Bake covered with foil to prevent excessive browning or burning. 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.
Look for nice huge peppers that are not pointed on the bottom and set fairly good on a flat service without falling over.
Make enough to freeze. They can be frozen in zip-lock bags adding a little sauce to each.
You'll also love
- Pepper Steak 4.4/5 (19 Votes)
- Cheese fondue 2.7/5 (14 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Better Than Sex Burger 2.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Sharlotka (Apple Pie) 2.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Meat Pie Mixture 2.7/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet 'n sour pork chops & peppers 2.6/5 (11 Votes)
- Stuffed Peppers 2.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Italian Meat Pie (makes 2 pies) 2.5/5 (16 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Bursting with cheese and wrapped up in bacon, these stuffed chicken breasts are totally irresistible!
- Chicken breast
- 6 -8 bacon slices
- 1 cup spinach leaves
- 1 small jar semi-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Carefully slice the chicken breasts, forming a pocket, without cutting right through.
- Fry the breasts until golden brown on both sides.
- Layer bacon slices on a chopping board.
- Place the chicken breast on the far left, and top with spinach leaves, semi-dried tomatoes and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the chicken breast in the bacon slices, folding it closed as you go.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 375°F.
- Serve, and enjoy!