Fast food hacks: How to build your favorite Subway sandwich at home
In the mood for Subway but don't feel like spending money or too tired to leave the house? No problem, you can make a classic Subway sandwich at home! All you need is some quality bread, any raw veggies you have on hand, cheese, your protein of choice and a touch of culinary creativity! Here are the step-by-step instructions to making your favorite sandwich Subway-style.
1. Choose your bread
Subway offers five different types of bread: 9-grain wheat, 9-grain honey oat, Italian, Italian herbs and cheese and flatbread. To keep it simple, use freshly baked bread from the bakery section of your local grocery store. Cut it lengthwise into 6-inch or footlong sizes and set aside.
2. Choose your protein
At Subway, you have the choice between black forest ham, regular ham, turkey, bologna, salami, roast beef, bacon, oven-roasted chicken, teriyaki chicken, steak, salami, meatballs, Genoa salami, pepperoni and tuna salad. Depending on what you have at home, you can create your own options. Then put the meat on one side of the bread covering the entire surface. If you're vegetarian, sub a vegetable patty in for the meat or omit altogether.
3. Add the cheese
Cheese options include American, Monterey, cheddar, provolone, pepperjack, mozzarella or Swiss. Cut the cheese into triangles before layering on top of the meat in an overlapping manner.
4. Toast the bread
Toast your sandwich for 30 seconds if you like your bread slightly crispy and your cheese melted. If not, skip this step.
5. Add vegetables
For added crunch and healthy ingredients, add shredded iceberg lettuce, cucumber slices , tomatoes, red onions, spinach, green bell peppers, pickles, banana peppers, olives or jalapenos.
6. Add the sauce
For added flavor, go for light or regular mayonnaise, ranch dressing, honey mustard, barbecue sauce, creamy Italian, red wine vinaigrette, etc. If you're watching your weight, just drizzle on a bit of olive oil and vinegar.
7. The final touch
Add salt and pepper to taste. For a true Subway experience, cut your sandwich in half and wrap in greaseproof paper. Serve with a side of chips and soda. Enjoy!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Enjoy these super easy, cheesy, dumpling-style croque monsieurs!
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese
- Egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a large piece of plastic wrap, press one slice of bread flat with a rolling pin.
- Add one slice of ham, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
- Take the four corners of the bread, pull them in towards the center, pinch them together so that the bread maintains the shape.
- Envelope the bread in the plastic wrap. Gather and twist the ends on top to seal the sandwich dumpling.
- Repeat this step with the other slices of bread.
- Remove the bread balls from the fridge and roll each one in flour, then egg yolk, then breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve alone or with dipping sauces of your choice.