Quinoa Sweet Potato Chili
- 1/4 cup (or 4 Tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 15 ounce can of garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- rinsed and drained
- 7 ounce jar of tomato paste
- 32 fluid ounces of vegetable stock
- low sodium
- 1 red onion
- chopped (large or fine
- your preference)
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp cumin
- more or less to taste
- 1 tsp basil (or oregano
- whichever you prefer)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes
- cut to bite size
- 2 cups of frozen peas
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 avocado
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Toss sweet potato pieces in olive oil and 1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Place in a glass casserole dish. Bake uncovered for 20-30 minutes. Toss sweet potatoes half-way through. Sweet potatoes are ready when a knife easy cuts a piece in half.
Prepare water to boil peas and steam for 3-5 minutes covered.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium-low heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and turn lightly brown (approximately 10 minutes). Add remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and garlic, and sauté 2 minutes. Add tomato paste, cumin, cinnamon, and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Add chickpeas and vegetable stock, season with pepper, and cook for 5 minutes. Add quinoa and cook for 20 minutes uncovered. Stir frequently.
Add prepared sweet potato pieces and peas, stir well. Cook uncovered for an additional 10+ minutes until the chili reaches the thickness you desire. If you find the chili is too thick, simply add water.
Serve in large bowl with sliced avocados on top. Cheese and crackers complete the meal.
Chef's Note: With 6 servings, it is the perfect make-ahead meal to last all week long. A vegan recipe. Use all organic ingredients, and serve with your favorite cheese and crackers. Refrigerates and freezes beautifully for leftovers!
You'll also love
- Quinoa Potato Cakes 2.8/5 (170 Votes)
- Kale and Quinoa Salad 4/5 (15 Votes)
- SPICY THAI PEANUT SAUCE 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken Rotini 3.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Thai Salad 2.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Vegan Club Sandwich 2.9/5 (9 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Puree for Babies 3/5 (38 Votes)
- Angel Hair Pasta with Olive Oil,... 3.2/5 (17 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Did you know you can toast sweet potato slices... and it's absolutely delicious!
- Slice an avocado in half.
- In a bowl, combine avocado with half an onion (diced) and coriander.
- Add the juice from half a lemon and some salt, and mix.
- Cut a sweet potato into 1/2 inch slices.
- Place in a toaster, making sure to toast both sides.
- Spread the avocado mix onto the toast. Enjoy!