FABULOUS Pho. Discover our recipe.
- 4 lbs Beef Soup Bones
- 1/2 Onion
- 5 slices Ginger
- 1 Tbp Salt
- 2 pods Star Anise
- 2 1/2 Tbo Fish Sauce
- 4 quarts Water
- 1 (8 ounce) package Dried Rice Noodles
- 1 1/2 lbs Beef Top Sirloin (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup Cilantro (chopped)
- 1 Tbp Green Onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups Bean Sprouts
- 1 bunch Thai basil
- 1 Lime (cut into 4 wedges)
- 1/4 cup Hoisin Sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup Chile-Garlic Sauce (optional)
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
Place beef bones on a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven until browned (approx 1 hour).
Place onion on a baking sheet and roast in preheated oven until blackened and soft (approx 45 mins).
Place bones, onion, ginger, salt, star anise, and fish sauce in a large stockpot and cover with 4 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer on low for 6-10 hours. Strain the broth into a saucepan and set aside.
Place rice noodles in large bowl filled with room temperature water and allow to soak for 1 hour. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and after noodles have soaked, place them in the boiling water for 1 min. Bring stock to a simmer.
Divide noodles among 4 serving bowls; top with sirloin, cilantro, and green onion. Pour hot broth over top. Stir and let sit until beef is partially cooked and no longer pink, 1 to 2 mins. Serve with bean sprouts, Thai basil, lime wedges, hoisin sauce, and chile-garlic sauce on the side.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Looking for an easy snack or party appetizer? These little beef pockets are a pinch!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- Mix flour, sugar, salt, milk, and water in a pan, and mix until you form a dough.
- In a saucepan, heat a splash of olive oil and add the onion. Cook on medium-high until onion has softened.
- Add the ground beef, and add the salt, water, and tomato sauce. When the meat has browned, remove from heat.
- Dust a flat surface with flour, and roll out the dough into a flat sheet.
- Use a ramekin or cup to cut out circles.
- Add a dollop of beef-tomato mixture to the center of each circle.
- Pinch the dough into a little pocket.
- Bake in the oven at 350° F for 15 minutes.