Southwestern Grilled Honey-Habanero Glazed Chicken with Salsa
This recipe was created for a good friends birthday dinner and she loved the spicy heat and rich flavors. Since then, I've made it even hotter by substituting some Bhut Jolokia (Ghost Peppers) and it was awesomely hot and tasty. Now I can't wait to try the new "worlds hottest peppers" the Carolina Reapers which are supposed to not only be super hot, the are also supposed to have awesome flavor! Warning -- do not try this recipe unless you are a regular eater of very hot foods as it is very hot with just the habaneros for heat. Scotch bonnets, which are very similar to habaneros can also be used with similar results.
I served this with my Southwestern Vegan Roasted Vegetable Enchiladas, a hearty salad, a pan of cheesy jalapeno cornbread and a simple guacamole to go with the salsa on the side. We drank icy cold dark beer and before dinner had some cheese stuffed jalapeno poppers for an appetizer with a couple shots of tequila. It was a great 50th birthday celebration dinner. At the end, dessert was a spicy cayenne and dark chocolate cake with some jalapeno ice cream. Awesome!!
- 5 to 6 chopped habanero peppers
- 1 chopped red jalapeño pepper
- 1/ 2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup silver tequila
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon kosher or sea salt
- 5 pound cut up whole chicken
- 2 fine diced plum tomatoes
- 2 fine diced tomatillos
- 1 fine diced Anaheim chili pepper
- 2 to 3 fine diced jalapeno peppers
- 1/ 2 cup minced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped black olives
- 1/4 cup fine chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nut oil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- Cilantro sprigs
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
In a blender, purée habanero and red jalapeño with 4 tablespoons honey, 2 tablespoons tequila and 1 teaspoon salt. Rub mixture all over chicken pieces. Put on a tray, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours up to overnight. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to grilling.
Combine remaining honey, tequila and salt with remaining ingredients (except cilantro sprigs), cover and set aside.
Brush grill with oil, grill chicken over medium hot coals, turning frequently til chicken is golden browned, skin is crispy and juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Serve with salsa on side. Garnish with cilantro sprigs if desired.
To make vinegar, cut a couple of jalapenos in quarters, add to vinegar and allow to infuse for a few hours to a few days, depending on desired heat.
You'll also love
- Mushroom, Red Wine Demi Glaze 4.2/5 (324 Votes)
- Strawberry goo 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
- Southwestern Grilled Chicken With... 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Salmon Patties 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Classic Taco Salad 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Canned Hot Peppers 3.4/5 (32 Votes)
- Mullu Murukku (Spicy Snack). 3.8/5 (29 Votes)
- cristina curp 3.7/5 (46 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.