Healthy Holiday Breakfast Cookie Bars
Every year at Christmas I make a delicious and festive holiday biscotti, But it is really high calorie, so I wanted to create the same great taste in a healthy breakfast cookie bar.... And success!
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 ¼ cups oatmeal (quick oats)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp anise seed
- ½ tsp fennel seed
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 2 Tblsp canola oil
- 2 Tblsp water
- 3 egg whites
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup shelled and finely chopped pistachios
- ½ cup chopped dried apricots
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray an 8.5”X11” pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, oats, flour, wheat germ, baking soda, baking powder, coconut, salt, anise, fennel and chia
3. Make a well in the center and pour in the canola oil, apple sauce, water, egg whites and almond and vanilla extracts. Mix until well blended.
4. Stir in the cranberries, pistachios and apricots.
5. Press evenly into prepared pan and smooth with spatula.
6. In the preheated oven, bake 30 minutes or until golden brown around edges and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes. When cooled, cut into bars and continue to cool on wire rack for an additional 5 minutes.
Serve cold or warm.
Give yourself a little Christmas gift and buy the shelled raw pistachios at a whole food store. It takes way too long to shell them yourself!
And let your food processor do all the chopping!
Store for 3 days in container and freeze for up to 4 months
You'll also love
- Apricot Diplomat 4.5/5 (13 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Healthy Granola Bar 4.2/5 (26 Votes)
- Summer Squash Frittata 3.7/5 (82 Votes)
- Pistachio Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pistachio Cake Trifle 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Apricot Nectar Cake 0/5 (0 Votes)
Review this recipe