Tropical Black Beans and Rice Bowl
These bowls combine my most favorite beets – the golden ones – with juicy fresh mango, cilantro, black beans and roasted poblano peppers. The best part is that this recipe is completely plant based!
- 6 small golden beets
- peeled and cubed
- 2 poblano peppers
- peeled and chopped
- 1 cup (dry) jasmine white rice or brown rice
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- pinch of salt
- 1 can black beans
- 2 ripe mangoes
- peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 bunch cilantro
- rinsed and chopped
- 2 limes
- sliced in to wedges
- salt to taste
- sprinkle on top
- optional for topping
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Adapted from oatandsesame.com
Wash and trim the greens off the beets. Wrap in foil and roast at 400F for about 60 minutes depending on the size of your beets.
While the beets are roasting, prepare your rice and roasted poblano peppers.
In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup of rice and 1.5 cups of water to a boil. Adding a pinch or two of salt.
Turn the heat to low, add coconut flakes to the top layer and cover. Approx. 20 min for white and 30-40 for brown followed by a 10 minute rest off the burners. (Follow the package instructions for your rice of preference.)
Next roast the poblanos on a gas cooktop with tongs over an open flame. Turning with the tongs as each side blackens - the whole process should take about 3-4 minutes per pepper. (You may also roast these in the oven on a rimmed baking sheet alongside the beets - the cooking time will be much shorter than the beets)
Once blackened, place peppers in a sealed container - tupperware or plastic bag - seal and let rest for about 10 minutes. Once cooled, remove the peppers, peel off skin and chop.
Prepare all the other ingredients: rinse beans, chop mangos and cilantro, slice the avocados and limes.
Combine everything into a large bowl except for the avocado which should be place on top of each serving.
Liberally squeeze with lime juice and a sprinkle of salt and turmeric.
Top with an extra lime wedge. Squeeze of sriracha optional.
I also like to squeeze the pit of the mangos to get any extra juice into my rice bowls!
You'll also love
- Kiwi, Apricot, and Yellow Peach... 4.4/5 (167 Votes)
- Holiday Chicken Roulade with... 5/5 (10 Votes)
- Crockpot Chicken Burritos 4.1/5 (24 Votes)
- Jack's Favourite Banana Pancakes 4.1/5 (28 Votes)
- Red Beans and Rice 4.1/5 (10 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ White Chicken Chili 4/5 (5 Votes)
- Chia Green Beets Smoothie - Power... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Baked Ziti 0/5 (0 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This Gluten-Free Broccoli Pizza is original, healthy and super tasty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups of your favorite shredded cheese (we recommend two types- 1 cup of one, ¾ cup of the other)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or canned crushed tomatoes)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 9 slices coppa ham
- Cut the broccoli and boil until soft.
- Place the broccoli in a blender.
- In a bowl, add an egg and ¾ cup of shredded cheese, mix until solid.
- Form a ball and roll it flat on an oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min at 350° F.
- Once out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce evenly on the broccoli crust.
- Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of Coppa ham.
- Top off with of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide it back into the oven until the cheese melts.