Kitchen HACK: How To Ripen Peaches FAST
Hard peaches? Here's how to get them to juicy, sweet perfection.
There's nothing more disappointing than biting into a rock-hard, flavorless peach. But a ripe one? Heaven.
If you've come back from the market with fruit that resembles tennis balls, don't despair... You can ripen then up in a jiffy with this nifty hack!
Place the hard peaches in a paper bag a shut the opening. Leave on the counter for 24 - 48 hours, and voila — your peaches should be tender and juicy. You can speed up the process by throwing in a banana.
How does this process work? All fruits naturally exude ethylene gas, which makes them ripen. By locking the fruit in with their own ripening gasses, you can speed up the process... Leaving you with perfect, juicy, flavorful fruit!
Want more awesome kitchen hacks? We've got 99 of 'em, right here!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!