RECIPE: Stuffed Chicken with Spinach, Currants and Apple Gravy
Chicken breasts stuffed with currants, spinach and pine nuts, baked and topped with a fresh apple gravy.
Sounds about right ;)
- 4 medium chicken breasts
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons light extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, pressed or minced
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well drained **see note below
- 3 tablespoons dried currants
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups, plus 2 tablespoons water, divided
- 2 chicken bullion cubes
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 Red Delicious apple, cut into 1/8 inch slices and soaked in cold water with 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon butter
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Average budget
1. Start by placing each chicken breast between two sheets of plastic wrap or wax paper. Using a meat mallet, tenderize until chicken breast is approximately 1/4 inch thick. Season both sides with a few shakes of table salt and pepper.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons light extra virgin olive oil in a medium skillet. Over medium heat, saute pressed garlic for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Transfer garlic and olive oil to a small-medium mixing bowl. Add chopped spinach, currants and pine nuts. Mix well.
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place one chicken breast onto a cutting board or other clean work surface. Place approximately 1 tablespoon (give or take) lengthwise into each chicken breast. Roll up lengthwise, folding in edges, and place seem side down into a casserole dish lightly coated with cooking spray. Reserve remaining filling for apple gravy. Drizzle remaining 2 tablespoons extra light virgin olive oil over stuffed chicken breasts Place into a heated oven, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes, or until juices run clean. Then set aside while you complete apple gravy (step #5).
4. While stuffed chicken cooks, prepare the apple gravy. In a medium sauce pan, combine 1 1/2 cups of water, chicken bullion cubes and apple juice. Bring to a low boil. Drain apple slices from salted water. Add to apple gravy and lower to a simmer. Continue apple gravy over low heat until stuffed chicken is complete.
5. After removing stuffed chicken from the oven, finish the apple gravy. Combine last 2 tablespoons water with 2 tablespoons corn starch until smooth. Stir into simmering apple gravy. Finally, add 1 tablespoon butter, remaining filling and fresh thyme.
6. Slice stuffed chicken and smother with sweet apple gravy. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Shepherd's Pie 3.5/5 (186 Votes)
- Quick Magic Crustless Quiche 4.3/5 (116 Votes)
- Baby Food: Blueberry & Spinach... 4/5 (101 Votes)
- Chicken Cabbage Soy Noodles 3.2/5 (153 Votes)
- Easy Chicken Salad 3.4/5 (177 Votes)
- spinach and feta casserole 2.9/5 (207 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Stuffed Green Peppers 3.8/5 (101 Votes)
- Apple Knobby Cake (Mrs. Cheney's... 3.1/5 (160 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.