French Onion Soup
- 4-6 Onions (About 8 Cups)
- Sliced Thinly
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 2 Tbsp. Light Butter
- 6 C. Reduced Sodium Beef Broth
- 1/2 C. Guinness Draught Beer
- 1 Tbsp. Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 Tsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 Tsp. Dried Rosemary
- 1/4 Tsp. Dried Thyme
- Salt & Pepper To Taste
- 6 Slices French Bread (1 Oz. Each)
- 6 Oz. Irish Cheddar
- Sliced (I used Kerrygold
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Place onions, garlic, and butter into your slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 45 minutes to an hour or until onions begin to soften. Yes, your slow cooker will be pretty full of onions. Don't let it scare you! They cook down.
Stir broth, beer, soy sauce, bay leaf, vinegar and spices into the onions.
Cover and cook on low heat setting 6 to 8 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until onions are very tender.
Once the soup is finished, remove the bay leaf. Right before serving, preheat oven broiler and set out individual slices of french bread onto a baking sheet. Top bread slices with 1 oz. of the cheese each.
Broil until the cheese is bubbly and slightly browned.
Ladle soup into bowls and top with toasted 'croutons'. Serve piping hot and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Tomato Tart 4.8/5 (55 Votes)
- Red Fruit Tartlets 4.1/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken Corn Noodle Soup 4/5 (14 Votes)
- Creamy Three Cheese and Broccoli... 4.1/5 (35 Votes)
- PORK WITH ONION GRAVY 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- caramelized drunk chicken stew... 4/5 (10 Votes)
- Chicken On A Bun 3.1/5 (23 Votes)
- Salad Nicoise 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
This French classic gets turned upside-down with tangy, caramelized cherry tomatoes!
- Bread, in chunks
- Grated Parmesan
- 1 Egg
- Salt and pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- 1 Cup of milk
- Balsamic vinegar
- Cherry Tomatoes
- In a bowl, mix together the bread chunks, grated Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, Italian Seasoning, and cup of milk.
- In a pot, combine the sugar and Balsamic vinegar. Bring to a boil until it has reduced (it should be a little thicker).
- Slice the cherry tomatoes in half, and place them in a single layer in a baking dish.
- Cover the tomatoes with the reduced vinegar and a layer of Prosciutto.
- Cover everything in a layer of the bread mixture, and cook at 350°F for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, flip upside-down... and enjoy!