Trough Dinner-grilled chicken and pasta salad
Ben and Lauren call it Trough Dinner because you don't come up for air until the last bite!!
- 1 1/2 pounds boned
- skinned chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Asian (toasted) sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cloves garlic
- peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound dried angel hair pasta
- 1 pound mixed red and yellow bell peppers
- and diced
- 1 cucumber (about 10 oz.)
- peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/4 teaspoon hot chili flakes
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 15mins
Cost Average budget
1. Rinse chicken and pat dry; place in a bowl. In another bowl, combine lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Pour about 1/4 cup of the mixture over chicken, reserving remainder. Chill chicken for 30 minutes.
2. Lift chicken from marinade (discard used marinade) and lay over a solid bed of medium coals or medium heat on a gas grill (you can hold your hand at grill level only 4 to 5 seconds); close lid on gas grill. Cook, turning chicken as needed to brown evenly, until no longer pink in the center of the thickest part (cut to test), 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a board and let stand until cool enough to handle, then cut across the grain into 1-inch-wide slices.
3. Meanwhile, in a covered 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring about 3 quarts water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender to bite, 4 to 6 minutes. Drain pasta and rinse under cold running water until cool.
4. In a large bowl, combine pasta, reserved lime-juice mixture, chicken, bell peppers, cucumber, parsley, green onions, and chili flakes; mix to coat. Serve immediately or cover and chill up to 1 day.
This dish is delicious hot or cold
We double the sauce to have plenty extra for pouring over pasta.
421 (24% from fat)
11g (sat 1.7)
You'll also love
- Grilled Chicken Cesar Pasta Salad 4.7/5 (31 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken and Vegetable... 4.2/5 (52 Votes)
- Pistashio salad 4/5 (12 Votes)
- CHICKEN BOMBAY 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Fried Rice 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Pasta with Shrimp and Zucchini 4/5 (11 Votes)
- Easy Sweet Onion and Broccoli Salad 4.1/5 (3 Votes)
- Mac and Cheese 4/5 (10 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.