Oteen's "Bread and Butter Pickles"
This recipe comes from my grandmother's aunt, Oteen. Old fashioned pickle making at its finest.
- 1 gallon thin sliced cucumbers
- 8 small white onions
- half cup salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 5 cups vinegar
- one and a half tsp turmeric
- half tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp celery seed
- quarter tsp ginger
- quarter tsp allspice
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Budget Friendly
Mix cucumbers, onions, and salt.
Put in ice in a cooler for 3 hours, or let sit overnight in the fridge.
Drain. Dissolve sugar with vinegar. Then, stir in remaining ingredients and combine well.
Simmer on low heat and keep stirring. Do not let it bubble.
Remove from heat and put in jars.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.