I am a huge fan of Mexican food! I am usually way to lazy to make enchiladas so I have evolved my recipe to a layered taco pie. This recipe is great topped with chipotle "sour cream" and heirloom tomato salsa!
- Corn tortillas
- Enchilada sauce:
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- chicken stock
- cilantro (about 1/2 a cup)
- cayenne pepper
- 1lb ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 small can green chilis (or rotel
- whatever I have on hand)
- 1/2 a white onion
- Taco seasoning (I just use a mixture of cayenne
- chili powder
- cumin and salt)
- Baby Bellas
- Zucchini (or whatever vegetable you prefer corn
- bell peppers)
- Black olives
- Green onion
- Sharp Cheddar
- Homemade salsa
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 35mins
Cost Average budget
Add your enchilada sauce ingredients to a small pan and simmer. This is a simple way to spice up your store bought enchilada sauce.
Preheat oven to 350
Saute your onions in a little bit of olive oil. When they start to get soft add ground meat. Brown. Add green chiles and taco seasoning. Set aside in a bowl when the meat is cooked.
Using the same pan as your meat, saute your vegetables. Add extra taco seasoning to your vegetables to taste.
Grab a pie dish and layer enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, a layer of ground beef, tortillas again, vegetables, olives, green onions, cheese. Add another layer of tortillas and ground beef if you have room. Top with Cheddar.
Bake at 350 for 35 minutes
Serve hot topped with salsa and sour cream.
Swap the chicken stock for vegetable stock and skip the ground meat layer all together for a vegetarian version.
You'll also love
- Classic French Ratatouille with... 4.1/5 (246 Votes)
- Tortilla Pie 4.2/5 (97 Votes)
- Taco Pie!!! 4.3/5 (46 Votes)
- Stamppot Hutspot 3.9/5 (74 Votes)
- Whole wheat Vegetable Lasagna 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
- Butter Pecan Tarts 4.3/5 (40 Votes)
- Mildly Spicy Meatloaf Recipe 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Stuffed Green Peppers 4.3/5 (41 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!