Kitchen HACK: How To Test If Eggs Are Still Good
Never crack open a rotten egg again.
Have a carton of eggs that's beyond it's expiration date? Wait — they could still be good!
Eggs often stay fresh for days after their use-by date. This foolproof method will help you determine if you can still use them...
Here's the test:
Place eggs in a cup or bowl of water.
- If the egg sinks to the bottom, it's still fresh.
- If the egg stands upright, it's good to eat but should be consumed quickly.
- If the egg floats, it's no longer good to eat.
Why does this method work?
Eggshells are quite porous, and over time air enters the shell. This causes the egg to lose its freshness, and also float in water.
Love eggs? Here are 30 more egg hacks you need to try!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
We are definitely making these Easy Cheesy Mini Pizzas for our next party!
- Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- Shredded cheese
- Pizza sauce
- Cured ham, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Roll out the dough
- Use a small bowl to cut the dough into rounds
- Add shredded cheese
- Place in oven on an oven tray afr 10 min at 355°F
- Put each dough round into a ramekin
- Add 1 tbsp pizza sauce, a handful of shredded cured ham
- Break an egg into each pizza
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf
- Place in oven for another 15 mins at 355°F
- Garnish with parsley and a pinch of pepper
- Serve and enjoy!