Mythbuster: Is brown sugar better for you than white?
It's an argument we have heard countless times, especially when we are trying to lose weight: "brown sugar is healthier than white!" But is this argument real or just an excuse to make us feel better?
what is brown sugar, anyway?
All sugar is made up of sucrose, which comes from sugar cane or sugar beet. The color of sugar has nothing to do with its composition, but with the form in which it occurs. Once the raw sugarcane is chopped up, it is boiled to extract the sugar and crystallize it. This process also produces a dark, bitter mass known as molasses. Both substances are mixed to produce the sugar and, depending on the proportion of molasses used, the sugar will be white or brown.
There is also an important difference between "brown" and "raw" sugar. Raw sugar is sugar that has not fully been refined, wheras brown sugar is refined sugar that has had molasses reintroduced.
According to the United States Department of Agriculture, brown sugar contains about 17 kilocalories per teaspoon, compared with 16 kilocalories per teaspoon for white sugar.
It is true that brown sugar contains more of certain minerals like calcium, potassium, iron and magnesium , but unfortunately they are present in such miniscule quantities as have no real health benefit.
so what's the bottom line?
The science is clear: brown sugar and white sugar are completely nutritionally equal.
Don't forget to share this heath tip with your friends!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Sweet Apple Cinnamon Rolls
Pie crust dough
1/8 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup almond powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. Halve an apple and slice each half finely.
2. Cut the top of a pie crust to get a straight edge.
3. Spread the brown sugar and almond powder all over the dough.
4. To get the first row, line up the apples in a straight line and cut out the section. Continue until all the dough is all used up.
5. Mix egg yellow and milk and cover each roll with the mixture.
6. If you wish, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar on top of each roll.
7. Bake in the oven for 18 min at 350° F.