italian sunday gravy tomato sauce
I love my homemade recipe for tomato sauce ..the smell of the house as it simmers for 3-4 hours..here's my recipe for sunday gravy homemade tomato sauce enjoy!
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 jumbo onion
- 5-6 garlic cloves (pressed
- or minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt (or half as much table salt)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 6 lb can San Marzano whole tomatoes (pureed until smooth in food processor
- or food mill)
- 3 tbsp dried parsley
- 4 dried bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp kosher salt (or half as much table salt)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (kids might find this amount a tad spicy - adults usually love it - I double it)
- *Fresh basil
- chopped or torn (as much as you like
- but don't add until serving)
Level of difficulty Easy
Cost Average budget
Over med-high heat, saute onions, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper in olive oil until caramelized (I save the leftover oil from jarred sun-dried tomatoes to use for things like this). Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and caramelize for 3-5 minutes; stirring constantly. Add pureed tomatoes, bay leaves, dried oregano, dried basil (don't add the fresh basil yet), red pepper flakes, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper; stir to combine. Simmer on low for about an hour. Remove bay leaves. Add fresh basil just before serving.
Note: you can simmer this sauce longer if you like, I do for 3-4 hours, but you don't need to. If you happen to have a rind of Parmesan cheese leftover, throw that in too (it won't really melt into the sauce, but it will add a lot of great flavor).
I start with a huge can of San Marzano Tomatoes . http://www.cento.com/
They are, without question, the very best. Cento brand is my favorite.
I also chop one large Spanish onion, and mince 5-6 big cloves of garlic I like to buy whole tomatoes and process them myself A blender or food mill can also be used.
After the tomatoes are processed or blended or milled, you end up with pureed tomatoes that look like this. Set them aside for now. Okay, in a large, heavy-bottomed sauce pan over med-high heat, I saute the onions in olive oil until they are nice and caramelized. I also add 1/2 teaspoon each of kosher salt. These onions are going to add an incredible depth of flavor to the sauce.lt and pepper. You have to season every step of the way. Now I can add the minced garlic. I don't add it earlier because it would burn and taste bitter. I Saute the garlic with the onions for just about 30-60 seconds, stirring well so the garlic doesn't burn. As soon as that wonderful garlicy aroma fills the kitchen......I add a whole can of tomato paste and stir constantly for 3-5 minutes until the tomato paste darkens and starts to caramelize (again, adding an incredible depth of flavor).Here's a little tip - keep a cup of water (or a splash of red wine) near the stove top. The minute you notice any spots getting too brown. ...add a splash or two (excuse the steam). It will bubble up and dissolve the spot and keep your food from burning. The technical term for this is called "deglazing".
See - the liquid evaporated and the dark spot is all gone- nothing burned.
Okay, time to add the reserved tomato puree and most of the remaining ingredients (everything except the fresh basil). Simmer for about an hour. Just before serving, remove the bay leaves and add the fresh basil. enjoy!
You'll also love
- Kale Salad: A Cooking Cousins... 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
- Whole wheat Vegetable Lasagna 4.3/5 (48 Votes)
- Creamy Sunrise 4.8/5 (38 Votes)
- Fried Chicken Sauce 2.9/5 (193 Votes)
- VEGAN NUTMEG PANCAKES WITH VEGGIE... 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Italian Salad Chicken 4.5/5 (63 Votes)
- Manicotti 4.6/5 (5 Votes)
- Easy Yorkshire Puddings 4.7/5 (38 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
We are definitely making these Easy Cheesy Mini Pizzas for our next party!
- Pizza Dough (homemade or store bought)
- Shredded cheese
- Pizza sauce
- Cured ham, shredded
- 4 eggs
- Cherry tomatoes
- Fresh basil
- Roll out the dough
- Use a small bowl to cut the dough into rounds
- Add shredded cheese
- Place in oven on an oven tray afr 10 min at 355°F
- Put each dough round into a ramekin
- Add 1 tbsp pizza sauce, a handful of shredded cured ham
- Break an egg into each pizza
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes and a basil leaf
- Place in oven for another 15 mins at 355°F
- Garnish with parsley and a pinch of pepper
- Serve and enjoy!