Healthy Tuna Melt open-faced sandwiches
With a healthy dose of protein, savoury tuna and delicious cheese pair well with a salad for a quick meal. A low-calorie version is available as well!
- 1 can tuna in water, drained
- seasonings to taste (eg., fresh or dried parsly, chopped green onions or dried onion flakes, cracked black pepper)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise (or, for reduced calories, use Walden Farms mayo-type spread)
- 4 slices weight Watcher's whole wheat or Squirrelly light sprouted grain bread
- 4 slices cheese eg., whole or light cheddar (or reduce calories further with 8 wedges light Laughing Cow cheese, each sliced in half)
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Preheat toaster oven or regular oven to 350 degrees F.
If desired, toast bread lightly in toaster until just starting to brown. (omit if a softer sandwich is desired).
Using a fork, combine tuna with seasonings and mayo-type spread until thoroughly mixed.
Divide tuna mix equally into four portions, and spread on each slice of bread equally.
Top each with a cheese slice (or two wedges each of Laughing Cow light cheese).
Brown in oven for 5-10 minutes until cheese is softened or melted to desired state.
Lightest version works out to approximately 260 calories each serving of two slices.
You'll also love
- Easy Chicken Salad 3.4/5 (182 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Paleo Taco Soup 4.4/5 (61 Votes)
- Delicious Baked Cod 4.4/5 (52 Votes)
- We LOVE this Tuna Casserole recipe! 4.7/5 (30 Votes)
- Crispy tuna patties 4.1/5 (93 Votes)
- Quinoa Potato Cakes 2.8/5 (176 Votes)
- Sloppy Joes with a kick 4.7/5 (65 Votes)
- Bacon & Tomato Grilled Cheese... 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
Enjoy these super easy, cheesy, dumpling-style croque monsieurs!
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 slices of ham
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- Mozzarella cheese
- Egg yolk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- On a large piece of plastic wrap, press one slice of bread flat with a rolling pin.
- Add one slice of ham, cherry tomatoes, and mozzarella cheese.
- Take the four corners of the bread, pull them in towards the center, pinch them together so that the bread maintains the shape.
- Envelope the bread in the plastic wrap. Gather and twist the ends on top to seal the sandwich dumpling.
- Repeat this step with the other slices of bread.
- Remove the bread balls from the fridge and roll each one in flour, then egg yolk, then breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Serve alone or with dipping sauces of your choice.