Healthy meals on a budget - 5 recipes
If you like this, you'll definitely like: budget friendly meals for families
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!
Top rated Healthy meals on a budget recipes
healthy cherry tomato tart
By european cutie, European Cutie
So yesterday I went to my friend's garden and got a TON of cherry tomatoes
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c whole wheat flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 t dried Italian seasoning
- 5 T unsalted butter
- fat free! cold and cut into cubes
- 2 T shortening
- cold and cut into cubes
- 1/2 c skim milk
- 2 1/2 pints heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 2 T fresh basil
- cut into chiffonade (thin strips)
- 1 T evoo (extra virgin olive oil)
10 Tips & Tricks to Save Money in the Kitchen
By Pascale Weeks
Learn how to save money when cooking with these 10 tips and tricks!
Healthy Tuna Melt open-faced sandwiches
With a healthy dose of protein, savoury tuna and delicious cheese pair well with a salad for a quick meal
- 1 can tuna in water
- seasonings to taste (eg.
- fresh or dried parsly
- chopped green onions or dried onion flakes
- cracked black pepper)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp mayonnaise (or
- for reduced calories
- use Walden Farms mayo-type spread)
- 4 slices weight Watcher's whole wheat or Squirrelly light sprouted grain bread
- 4 slices cheese eg.
- whole or light cheddar (or reduce calories further with 8 wedges light Laughing Cow cheese
- each sliced in half)
Here are 7 ways to save money on food when traveling
By Elena Salvadore
We are not talking about going cheap here, but traveling smart
Healthy Muffins: Carrot, Apple, Cranberry
By teresa, Eat. Drink. Be Skinny!
Make the best use of juicer pulp and a few other healthy twists on your traditional, tasty, breakfast muffin!
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Vanilla Protein Powder*
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/3 cup Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup
- 6 oz Low Carb Yogurt**
- 2 Eggs
- Pulp of 6 large Carrots***
- 2 small Green Apples***
- 1 fresh Ginger grated
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup dried Cranberries
Healthy Beef Chili
Brown ground beef in a large pot over med-high heat, using a wooden spoon to break up the meat as it cooks
- 1 lb grass fed beef or bison
- 1 small organic onion
- 1 can organic crushed tomatoes
- 1 can organic kidney beans
- 1-2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ – 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 chipolte peppers
Here are 10 amazing things you can cook when you're broke
By Pascale Weeks
Looking for a meal that costs less than 5 dollars? Look no further!
Healthy French Toast
This recipe is a healthy alternative to the more classic French toast because it uses olive oil instead of butter
- Sliced Bread