Austrian Potato Soup with chives
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 pounds boiling potatoes, peeled, and cut into 3/4- to 1-inch dice
- 2 small carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock OR stock mixed with water
- 1/2 cup sour cream, light or regular
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons finely sliced fresh chives
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the paprika and sauté 1 minute. Add potatoes, carrots and stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in sour cream in a bowl. Gradually stir 1 cup soup into the sour cream. Then stir sour cream/soup mixture gently into remaining soup. Heat gently; do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with chives.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!