Austrian Potato Soup with chives
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 1 large onion
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3 pounds boiling potatoes
- and cut into 3/4- to 1-inch dice
- 2 small carrots
- halved lengthwise
- and sliced
- 5 cups chicken stock OR stock mixed with water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- light or regular
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons finely sliced fresh chives
Level of difficulty Average
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cost Average budget
Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and sauté over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the paprika and sauté 1 minute. Add potatoes, carrots and stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in sour cream in a bowl. Gradually stir 1 cup soup into the sour cream. Then stir sour cream/soup mixture gently into remaining soup. Heat gently; do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot, sprinkled with chives.
You'll also love
- Tilaphia with rice and tomatoes 3.6/5 (113 Votes)
- YUM!Food Porn Chocolate Covered Raspberries 4/5 (76 Votes)
- Butternut Squash and Apple Bisque 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Yorkshire Pudding 4.4/5 (44 Votes)
- Veggie Gratin 4.3/5 (73 Votes)
- Starlight Brownie Pie with... 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Apple Strudel Bon-Bons 4.4/5 (42 Votes)
- Stamppot Hutspot 3.9/5 (76 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!