Creamy Three Cheese and Broccoli Soup
A very rich, creamy soup that is adapted from my great aunts recipe for broccoli and cheese recipe. It's perfect for lunch on a cold winter day after shoveling snow all morning. Great with a thick, crusty slab of coarse homemade bread spread with cream cheese.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon walnut or olive oil
- 1 coarse chopped red onion
- 1 coarse chopped celery stalk remove stringy ribs include some leaves
- 1 coarse chopped carrot
- 2 coarse chopped Yukon Gold potatoes
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 3 pounds broccoli stems peeled and florets trimmed and set aside
- 2 1/2 cups homemade or canned vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Kosher or sea salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh flat leaf parsley to garnish top
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Melt butter on low in 4 to 6 quart Dutch oven. Add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and garlic, cook til onions are translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Roughly chop broccoli stems, add to the pot with stock, oregano, thyme, cayenne, basil, dry mustard and bay leaf. Cover & simmer on low 1 hour. Remove the bay leaf. Puree in pot with an immersion blender or in a food processor in batches, return to pot. Stir in cream, salt and pepper to taste, and cheeses; partially cover pot and cook on low for 1/2 hour. Add the broccoli florets and cook til just tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish top of each serving with chopped parsley.
In 6 quart slow cooker, add all through bay leaf, except florets. Cook on HIGH for 2 hours. Remove bay leaf and puree as above. Add the cream, cheeses,
salt and pepper, and cook on HIGH for 45 minutes. Add florets and cook for 30 minutes. Taste, adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, if needed. Garnish top of each serving with chopped parsley.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
Make that special someone swoon with these adorable, delicious bacon potato roses!