Russian "Vinegret" Beet Salad
Here's a low fat version of my Grandma Katrina's russian beet salad called "vinegret" enjoy!
- 1 lb cooked beets, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream fat free
- 4 tbs mayonnaise fat free
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful chopped fresh dill or parsley for garnish
- 1-2 scallions
- 1-2 dill pickles
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 small cucumber peeled and cubed
- extra virgin olive oil
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Bring some water to a boil,(boil beets like you would potatoes) put beets in the pan and simmer until the beets are tender easily pierced with a knife--45 minutes to an hour. Let it cool.
Cube the beets into a salad bowl. Add the following, cubed, 1 small, peeled cucumber;(I substituted the cucumber for potatoes in the original recipe for a lower fat version) 1-2 scallions; 1 hardboiled egg; 1-2 good dill pickles; and a handful of fresh dill
For the dressing, I used a combo of a little extra virgin olive oil, juice of half a lemon, fat free sour cream, fat free mayo, salt and pepper.and a pinch of sugar. ( about 3-4 tablespoons, I usually eyeball it.)
Mix all ingredients together, chill for at least 20 minutes before serving and enjoy!
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!