Russian "Vinegret" Beet Salad
Here's a low fat version of my Grandma Katrina's russian beet salad called "vinegret" enjoy!
- 1 lb cooked beets, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup sour cream fat free
- 4 tbs mayonnaise fat free
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 handful chopped fresh dill or parsley for garnish
- 1-2 scallions
- 1-2 dill pickles
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 1 small cucumber peeled and cubed
- extra virgin olive oil
Level of difficulty Easy
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Cost Budget Friendly
Bring some water to a boil,(boil beets like you would potatoes) put beets in the pan and simmer until the beets are tender easily pierced with a knife--45 minutes to an hour. Let it cool.
Cube the beets into a salad bowl. Add the following, cubed, 1 small, peeled cucumber;(I substituted the cucumber for potatoes in the original recipe for a lower fat version) 1-2 scallions; 1 hardboiled egg; 1-2 good dill pickles; and a handful of fresh dill
For the dressing, I used a combo of a little extra virgin olive oil, juice of half a lemon, fat free sour cream, fat free mayo, salt and pepper.and a pinch of sugar. ( about 3-4 tablespoons, I usually eyeball it.)
Mix all ingredients together, chill for at least 20 minutes before serving and enjoy!
You'll also love
- BEET SALAD 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Bacon wrapped Jalapeno 4/5 (31 Votes)
- Red Wine Bacon Broccoli Salad 4/5 (17 Votes)
- Caramel Candy apple salad 4/5 (12 Votes)
- Recipewe ♡ Salmorejo 4/5 (25 Votes)
- Turkish Lentil Soup 4/5 (25 Votes)
- Light egg-white snack 4/5 (17 Votes)
- Sukiyaki 4/5 (15 Votes)
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Review this recipe