All About Broccoli
Rich in soluble and insoluble fiber, broccoli helps slow digestion to aid nutrient absorption, as well as keeping you regular, preventing constipation. One sole cup of broccoli contains 25 of the 38 daily recommended grams of fiber, making it a great go-to if you opt for yogurt instead of fibrous breakfast cereals. It also contains vitamin A, beta-carotene, calcium, iron, zinc, and other minerals that are essential for optimal health.
See all broccoli recipes here!
Spring or Fall
How to Pick It
You’ll want to find broccoli with firm stalks and a bright green color. If it looks a little yellow, it’s past its prime and you should pass it up. The florets should be tight, and don’t pick any that look soft or wilted.
How to Store It
Keep them in the refrigerator, sealed tightly; they should be good for 3 to 5 days. Don’t cut them before storing, as the vitamin C content will start to decrease after cutting. Also, make sure to store it dry, as water will make the florets wilt a bit. This will mean only washing your broccoli right before eating.
How to Prepare It
Make sure you wash them thoroughly; it’s easiest to wash after cutting. Broccoli works well steamed, microwaved in water, or sauteed on low heat with the lid on.
We like it with:
Sauteed with garlic and lemon
On the side of mushroom sauce and chicken
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
This Gluten-Free Broccoli Pizza is original, healthy and super tasty!
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 egg
- 1 ¾ cups of your favorite shredded cheese (we recommend two types- 1 cup of one, ¾ cup of the other)
- 1 cup tomato sauce (or canned crushed tomatoes)
- ¾ cup shredded cheese
- ½ cup grated Parmesan
- 9 slices coppa ham
- Cut the broccoli and boil until soft.
- Place the broccoli in a blender.
- In a bowl, add an egg and ¾ cup of shredded cheese, mix until solid.
- Form a ball and roll it flat on an oven tray.
- Bake in the oven for 20 min at 350° F.
- Once out of the oven, spread the tomato sauce evenly on the broccoli crust.
- Layer 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Place a layer of Coppa ham.
- Top off with of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Slide it back into the oven until the cheese melts.