BREAKING: Tuna Recalled From USA Shelves
(7 June, 2017) Recall due to HEPATITIS A CONTAMINATION.
Frozen yellowfin tuna is currently being recalled by the Hilo Fish Company, after testing positive for the hepatitis A virus.
The voluntary recall resulted after the Hawaii Department of the health notified the FDA of a frozen tuna sample, which tested positive for hepatitis A on May 1st, 2017. The product was removed from circulation in Hawaii, but had been shipped to mainland U.S. states, including California, Texas, Oklahoma, and New York.
The following products are subject to recall:
- Hilo Fish Company Tuna Steaks, 8 oz. individually vacuum packed bags, production date code: 627152, Lot number: 166623; Expiration date: 2018-10-01
- Hilo Fish Company Frozen Yellowfin tuna cubes, random; Individually vacuum packed; 15 lb. case, date code: 705342, Lot number: 173448; Expiration dates: 2019-04-01
The F.D.A. has posted a list of restaurants and retailers that have potentially been affected.
- Almansor Court - 701 S. Almansor St., Alhambra, CA
- Arroyo Trabuco - 26772 Avery Pkwy, Mission Viejo, CA
- Blue HI Café - 2 Embarcardero, San Francisco, CA
- Bonito Poke - 2277 Shafter Ave. San Francisco, CA
- Camp Four Wine Café - 1508 10th St. Modesto, CA
- Doubletree - 555 W. Foothill Blvd., Claremont, CA
- Fenix - 919 4th ST. San Rafael, CA
- Fuzio's - 1020 10th St. Modesto, CA
- Galaxy Foods Inc- 31224 Palos Verdes Dr. W., Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
- Galetto Ristorante - 1101 J St., Modesto, CA
- High Sierra Grill House - 2003 W. Bullard, Fresno, CA
- Hotel Irvine - 17900 Jamboree Rd, Irvine, CA
- Jus Poke - 501 N. Pacific Coast Hwy, Redondo Beach, CA
- Noelani - 1037 Laurel St. San Carlos, CA
- Ola Mexican Kitchen - Huntington Beach, CA
- Poke Shack - 2001 Lawton St. San Francisco, CA
- Shamrock Foods - 12400 Riverside Dr. Eastvale, CA
In Texas and Oklahoma:
- Central Market Kitchen N - HEB Vendor #15385, Austin, TX
- Conservatory Plano - 6401 Ohio Dr. Plano, TX
- Hilton Garden Inn - 23535 Northgate Crossing, Spring, TX
- Jack Ryan's - 102 N. College Ave. Tyler, TX
- Jack Ryan's - 119 N. Longview St. Kilgore, TX
- Johnny Tamale - 4647 E. Sam Houston, Pasadena, TX
- Marriott Conf. Center - 2801 St. Hwy 9, Norman OK
- Myron's Prime Steakhouse - 10003 NW Military Hwy, San Antonio, TX
- Prestonwood CC - 15909 Preston Rd., Dallas, TX
- Sea Ranch Restaurant - 1 Padre Blvd., S Padre Island, TX
- Sysco East Texas - 4577 Estes Pkwy, Longview, TX
- Sysco Foods Central Texas - 1260 Schwab R. New Braunfels, TX
- Sysco Food Houston - 10710 Greens Crossing Blvd, Houston, TX
- The Schooner - 1507 S, Hwy 69, Nederland, TX
"Hepatitis A is a contagious liver disease that results from infection with the hepatitis A virus . It can range in severity from a mild illness lasting a few weeks to a severe illness lasting several months. Hepatitis A can be spread when a person ingests the virus from contaminated food or water... People with hepatitis A may not have symptoms until 15 to 50 days after consuming a contaminated food or drink. Symptoms in adults include fatigue, abdominal pain, jaundice, abnormal liver tests, dark urine, and pale stool." - The U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
The FDA encourages consumers with questions about food safety to call 1-888-SAFEFOOD, or to consult http://www.fda.gov.
Click here to get all of the facts about recalls and food safety in the US.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These quick and easy chicken quesadillas are the perfect, last-minute family dinner!
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup of chives, chopped
- 1 tsp. of Mexican spice mix
- 4 Tortillas
- Salt, to taste
- Put shredded chicken breast, tomato sauce, chives, and mexican spice mix in a bowl and mix together.
- Lay out the tortillas. Place a slice of cheddar in the center, and cover with the chicken mix.
- Fold up tortillas, and heat in a frying pan until golden.