- Zucchini, eggplant, or summer squash*
- Morningstar Protein Crumbles (essentially vegetarian ground beef)
- Marinara Sauce (or just tomato sauce)
- Mozzarella and Ricotta (or mom's mixture)
- Olive oil
- *Don't use a super hard squash or you'll be sorry. No gourds!
Level of difficulty Average
Cost Average budget
Slice zucchini, eggplant, or squash into strips that resemble wide lasagna noodles. Fry them in olive oil until they become noodle-like (not crispy). Salt and pepper them to taste. Set them aside on some paper towels.
Heat the tomato or marinara sauce and add the Morningstar Protein Crumbles. When the crumbles are hot, put half or a third of them on the bottom of a pyrex baking pan. Then cover that layer with your zucchini, eggplant, or squash "noodles." Then layer the cheese mixture. Repeat, and continue layering until your lasagna is complete.
Bake at 375 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.
You'll also love
Chef Tips and Tricks
These baked Cheesy Eggplant Hedgehogs are totally adorable, tasty and really easy to make!
- 3 large eggplants
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cup shredded cheese
- Mix the olive oil, chopped basil, garlic, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Carefully slice the eggplant on it's side in a cross-hatch pattern, without cutting all the way through.
- Lay the eggplants inside an oven-safe baking tray.
- Pour the oil mixture over the eggplants, taking care to pour between the slices.
- Stuff the gaps in the eggplant with shredded cheese.
- Cook in the oven at 355°F for 45 minutes, until the flesh is cooked and the cheese totally melted.
- Serve and enjoy!