The ultimate beginner's guide to making seasonal jam
Don't be daunted by the idea of making your own jam. Here's the ultimate beginner's guide to delicious seasonal fruit jam made from scratch!
Choosing your fruits
Making fruit jam is not the same thing as eating fruit raw. You need to be super careful when you select your fruit: choose ripe fruit that has no spots or blemishes. Make sure that they're not over- or under-ripe—they need to be just right! Sun-ripened, seasonal fruit is ideal.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Craving sweet? This rustic cherry tart is easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 shortcrust pastry
- 3 cups / 750 g. of cherries
- 1/3 cup / 60 g. of sugar
- 2/3 cup / 60 g. of almond flour
- 4 tbsp. of brown sugar
- A dash of milk
- Mix the cherries and sugar together. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Spread or roll out the shortcrust pastry, sprinkle with almond powder and brown sugar.
- Place the cherries in the center of the dough, leaving about 2 inches of free dough on the edges. Fold in the edges.
- Brush with milk (this will make the crust go golden), sprinkle with brown sugar and bake for 20 minutes at 350°F/180°C.
- Top with a handful of chopped pistachios, and serve!