6 Avocado Facts That Will Blow Your Mind
It turns out, there's a lot you never knew about the world's most popular fruit.
1. 95% of All American Avocados Can Be Traced to One Tree
Did you know that avocados were first cultivated in California by mistake? In fact, the vast majority of avocados on the U.S. market (around 95 percent) can be traced to a single tree. This was the first Hass avocado tree, which was planted in the 1920's by a postman named Robert Hass.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These fun Tropical Salmon Sushi Cups make the perfect warm-weather appetizer!
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp seasame oil
- 1 tsp chili paste
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 lb salmon, diced
- Combine the rice vinegar and sugar.
- Stir though the cooked sushi rice, and with wet hands, shape into balls.
- Press the balls into ramekins lined with parchment paper, and press the rice up the sides of the ramekins into cup shapes.
- Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, combine the soy sauce, cilantro, sesame oil, chili paste and salt in a bowl.
- Combine the mango, avocado and salmon.
- Pour the soy mixture over the salmon mixture, and stir through until evenly coated.
- Remove the rice cups from the refrigerator, and peel off the parchment paper.
- Distribute the salmon mixture between the rice cups.
- Garnish, serve and enjoy!