10 sweet and savory reasons to eat more cherries
Black forest cake
Although it looks intricate, Black Forest Cake really isn't that complicated to make. The key is to begin preparing it the night before. Start by making a chocolate sponge cake for the base: Whisk together 4 egg yolks with 2/3 cup sugar until the mixture achieves a frothy texture. Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder and 2 tablespoons cocoa powder. Add whipped egg whites and bake for 12 minutes at 350° F in a round baking dish. Also prepare the whipped cream and store in the fridge overnight.
To assemble the cake, cut your sponge cake base into two disks. Wet the inside of one disk with a bit of cherry syrup mixed with 1 tablespoon cherry brandy. Add one layer of whipped cream, and top with the cherries. Add the second disk, and cover with whipped cream, coating all around the sides. Spread 1 cup cooled, melted chocolate onto a clean work space. Using a spatula, finely grate the chocolate into shavings. Decorate the cake with the shavings, and top with more cherries.
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
These Spanish empanadas are little hot pockets of delicious!
- 2.25 Cups of flour
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 3 Tsp. of lard
- 1/5 Cup of warm water
- 5 Tsp. of olive oil
- 1 Onion, minced
- 1/2 pound of ground beef
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1 Tsp. of chili powder
- 1 Tsp. of cumin
- 2 Garlic cloves, diced
- 1 Can of diced tomatoes
- In a bowl, combine the flour, beaten egg, lard, warm water, and olive oil, and mix thoroughly.
- In a hot pan, pour a little olive oil and sautée the onions, until tender. Add the ground beef, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook until beef is no longer pink, and the flavors have incorporated well.
- Roll out the empanada dough, and cut out circles with a ramekin.
- Cover a baking tray with a piece of parchment paper, and place the dough circles on top.
- Fill with meat mixture, fold in half and press with the edge of a fork. Brush with egg yolk to glaze.
- Cook at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven... and enjoy!