Kitchen HACK: Pit and Peel an Avocado Without Injuring Yourself
Avocado-cutting accidents are on the rise all over the world, but you can easily avoid them if you know how to do it right. Try this simple trick!
The more popular avocados get, the more common avocado injuries get too. Doctors and nurses can attest to this, and they've even given this phenomenon its own special name: "avocado hand."
So how do you avoid this happening to you too? All you've got to do is know how to cut it right.
And the only tool you need is a knife!
The avocado pit is often what throws people off when they're slicing up this superfood. To cut the fruit up and remove the pit with ease, simply slice the avocado in quarters length-wise, so that the fruit is split into four long, thin slices. As you pluck off each quarter, the seed will naturally come free and detach on its own at the end.
Then comes the skinning part. Don't attempt to peel it with the knife like an apple! Simply use the edge of the knife to pry up a tip of the skin, then peel it off with ease.
Your avocado is now ready to eat, cook with, or mash into guacamole!
Before you throw away the pit: did you know that this is actually a super nutritious part of the fruit? Find out what it can do for your body and how to eat it!
More steaming articles
Chef Tips and Tricks
Try this clever trick to make the perfect zebra cake!
- 2 large water or soda bottles (empty)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Ready 2 large plastic bottles, cleaned and dried.
- Add 1 cup of flour to each bottle.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar to each.
- Melt butter, then add equal halves to each bottle.
- Add 6 eggs, 3 in each.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of baking powder to each.
- Add 1/2 cup of heavy cream to each.
- Shake the bottles thoroughly until the contents are well mixed.
- In one of the bottles only, add the cocoa powder.
- Beginning with the cocoa powder mixture, add a dolop of batter to the center of a circular
- baking tin. Do the same with the other mixture, placing the dolop directly in the center of the previous one.
- Continue with alternating additions of each mixture until all batter is used and the tin is full.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!